Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken

 

This year, “heading” back to school sure is different for those of us with children. But even if school is online only or online part of the time, parents still have to get dinner on the table (and now, maybe even lunch) and keep some semblance of a schedule.

The August/September issue of Allrecipes Magazine provides reader submitted and tested recipes, some of which are simple back-to-school dinners. I recently made Brittaney Bunjong’s Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken. It stayed warm for several hours in my slow cooker until everyone in my family had a chance to eat dinner.

I cut 1 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 3/4-inch pieces and placed them in the bottom of the slow cooker insert. Then I mixed together 1/2 cup honey, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 tablespoons ketchup, 4 teaspoons cornstarch, 1 clove minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper and poured it over the chicken. I cooked it on low for three hours, then pulled out some precooked rice from my refrigerator, which I reheated in the microwave. The sesame chicken topped the rice, and sesame seeds topped the chicken. This slow cooker recipe was just as easy as ordering takeout, and it stayed warm until everyone was ready for dinner!

Allrecipes Magazine is available for request at Whitehall Public Library. Call us today, or add it to your holds list by clicking here. It is also available digitally on Flipster.