Keto Chaffles

 

The next kitchen gadget craze seems to be mini waffle makers. Not only are they cute, but they are used in the low-carb keto diet. At this point, I haven’t given in to either buying a mini waffle maker or the Keto diet. But I was very curious about trying out my Belgian waffle maker to create “chaffles,” which are cheesy waffles. These concoctions feature shredded cheese, egg, almond flour and baking powder. The ingredients are blended into a batter that bakes into a traditional-looking waffle in a waffle iron. 

Many keto diet recipe books are available these days, but I was only interested in “chaffles,” so I selected the new cookbook Sweet & Savory Keto Chaffles: 75 Delicious Treats for Your Low-Carb Diet, by Martina Slajerova. Her savory recipes include those for rye bread chaffles, rosemary olive focaccia chaffles and cauli pizza chaffles. Sweet recipes include those for snickerdoodle chaffles, blueberry muffin chaffles, and strawberry shortcake chaffles.

As a novice, I figured I’d give a shot at making a basic savory chaffle. Because I used a Belgian waffle maker, I doubled the recipe to yield one large chaffle. If you’re using a mini waffle maker, the recipe will yield 2 to 3 mini chaffles.

I was pleasantly surprised with the results of the chaffle, which had a mild flavor of egg and cheese, reminding me of a very fluffy omelette. My family and I enjoyed pieces of our savory chaffle with chicken noodle soup for lunch, but it certainly could work as a dish for breakfast or brunch.

Basic Savory Chaffle Ingredients:

  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup grated mozzarella, or hard cheese of choice
  • 1/4 cup almond flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Basic Sweet Chaffle Ingredients:

  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
  • 1/4 cup almond flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons sweetener of choice
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (Optional)
  • Pinch of cinnamon (Optional)

Directions:

Use a blender to blend all ingredients together until a thick, smooth batter forms. Bake your chaffles according to your waffle maker directions, about 3 minutes per chaffle. Recipe yields 2 to 3 mini chaffles — double the recipe to yield one large Belgian chaffle.

If you would like to request Sweet & Savory Keto Chaffles, call Whitehall Public Library at 412-882-6622 or click here.