Chicken Parm Rollatini

 

I’m always on the lookout for recipes that call for boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I’m one of those people who gets a little queasy handling raw meat, and if there’s bones involved I have to call in my backup — my husband — to deal with it. With boneless, skinless chicken breasts, all that preparation is handled by the butcher. Plus, they are one of the healthiest sources of meat protein available and my family usually is happy with whatever I make with them.

Now that we’re several weeks into the new year, I’m still keeping up with my resolution to eat wholesome, healthy foods, but if you’re like me you’re also craving comfort foods. If you love Italian recipes, with the help of the January/February issue of Food Network Magazine, I have you covered with a healthy spin on chicken parmesan! In fact, the baked Chicken Parm Rollatini was simple but looked impressive enough that I may prepare it for a delicious Valentine’s Day meal.

While Food Network Magazine calls for serving it with polenta and tomato sauce, I chose instead to enjoy whole wheat penne and marinara on the side.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
  • 5 or 6 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 4 thin chicken cutlets (1/8 inch thick; 4 ounces each — I halved two large chicken breasts and pounded each half to make them thinner.)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I used dried Italian seasoning.)
  • 6 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup)
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (I used Panko for extra crispiness.)
  • 1 large egg white (I used the whole egg.)
  • Cooking spray
  • Polenta, for serving (I used whole wheat penne pasta.)

Directions:

  1. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook the broth, garlic, tomatoes and basil in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
  2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper; place smooth-side down on a work surface. Sprinkle with the parsley and mozzarella. Starting at a short end, roll up to enclose the filling. Secure with a toothpick.
  3. Mix the parmesan and breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Beat the egg while (or whole egg, as I did) in another dish until foamy.
  4. Mist a cast-iron skillet with cooking spray. Dip the chicken rolls in the egg, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Place in the skillet, seam-side down. Sprinkle with any remaining breadcrumbs and mist with cooking spray. Bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Serve with tomato sauce and polenta (or pasta of your choice).

The January/February issue also features snack recipes including smoothies and mini meatballs, lunch and dinner recipes such as superfood chicken soup and Ina Garten’s Brussels sprouts pizza carbonara, and desserts like egg custard tarts and a conversation heart cake. 


The magazine is available upon request for curbside pickup at Whitehall Public Library by calling 412-882-6622.