Bisquick Easy Chicken Pot Pie

 

The yellow box of Bisquick baking mix always reminds me of my childhood. Some of my favorite treats came from that box, like strawberry shortcake and coffee cake. As a preteen, those were some of the first recipes I made on my own.

Betty Crocker recently released a new cookbook, Bisquick: Quick to the Table: Easy Recipes for Food You Want to Eat, filled with recipes old and new. With fresh carrots, celery, onion and broccoli waiting to be used, I chose to make the Easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe.

As per Betty Crocker’s suggestion, I took the advice of her kitchen secrets: instead of cream of chicken soup, I had a can of cream of celery soup on hand and used that. And instead of the thawed, frozen veggies, I used leftover cooked vegetables. The chicken pot pie filling was delicious, and the topping, in biscuit form, was a twist on the standard pie crust topping.

Ingredients: 

  • 1 2/3 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
  • 1 cup cut-up cooked chicken
  • 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 cup Original Bisquick mix
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 egg

Directions: 

  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. In ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate, stir vegetables, chicken and soup. In medium bowl, stir remaining ingredients until blended. Pour into pie plate.
  3. Bake about 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

I’ve never come across an easier chicken pot pie recipe! 

Other recipes include those for gluten-free sweet treats (using Bisquick’s gluten-free mix), such as Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies, Gluten-Free Chocolate Crinkles, and Gluten-Free Snickerdoodles. More modern recipes include those like Italian Flatbread, quinoa-seed pancakes with mixed berry syrup, and quick lemon-rosemary naan. Oldies-but-goodies are included, too, such as classic pancakes and waffles, drop biscuits, Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie, and, yes, my all-time childhood favorite — Classic Strawberry Shortcakes.

Bisquick: Quick to the Table: Easy Recipes for Food You Want to Eat is available at Whitehall Public Library. You may request it here.